[wpkg-users] Registry Status Message

Michael J. Kidd wpkg at linuxkidd.com
Tue Jan 23 23:00:05 CET 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Michael J. Kidd wrote:
>> I have 2 requests for the WPKG Project ( ok.. there's more than that,
>> but here's the most pressing! :) )
>>
>> My desire is for the WPKG Installer to delay logon as long as the
>> WPKG.js process is still running.. Not just X configurable minutes (
>> maybe an option to do either is in order ).  And, I would love it if the
>> User message that's displayed has feedback on what WPKG.js is currently
>> doing ( along with how long it's been doing it ).
>
> Hmm, you mean more than 120 minutes? Do you have any software that
> installs that long?
 >
 > Of course, if one sets the delay of 120 (or any other delay), it will
 > only prevent user logon for that long if any of three components
 > ("execute before", wpkg.js, "execute after") is still running. If they
 > are not running, user will be able to logon ASAP.

Hmm... I didn't realize that the WPKG installer would bail if the
install finished ahead of the predefined 'wait' period.  I just switched
back to the installer today to test this particular feature.  So, my
apologies for the Nub'ness of that request..    The longest installer I
have is AutoPatcherXP... Which does run for a lil over an hour by
itself.  But when it finishes this long ( initial ) run it requires a
reboot anyway... The developers of Autopatcher were kind enough to load
it w/ some exit codes at my request so it would work with this project!  :)

> We decided that WPKG Installer should have the maximum delay of 120
> minutes. If it was indefinite, some admins would surely use it
> (consciously or not), but what if they made a mistake? I.e., started a
> command that waits for user feedback (but the program is started in the
> background, so the user never sees the feedback).
> Well, considering the admin is on holiday, the consequences could be
> very bad for the whole organization... and perhaps for WPKG reputation
> if a lame admin explains himself to a lame manager :)
>

> So, right now, the answer is "no" (unless someone finds a good reason
> why it should be done).
Completely understandable... I agree completely!  Again, my apologies
for such a Nub question.. :)

> As of the other request ("what WPKG.js is currently doing") we thought
> of it as well. I'm just not sure how it should be done.
>

> 1. Add a new flag to wpkg.js, (hmm, /interact?), which would add some
> additional messages printed to console - something like:
>
> INTERACT <package name>
>
> this would be "intercepted" by WPKG Installer, and displayed to the user
> via a custom message:
>
> WPKG is installing %INTERACT%, please wait...
>
> Perhaps there are better names for /interact, though :)
>

> 2. A better and easier method, printing it to the registry. No new
> wpkg.js flag would be needed (wpkg.js would just clear a given registry
> entry when it starts, then it would write installed package's name).
> WPKG would poll it from time to time, and display via:
>
> WPKG is installing %INTERACT%, please wait...
>

> However, it'll take some time, everyone's busy, busy, busy...

Agreed... Time is the one thing no one has enough of.. ( along with
money of course ).  I'm not sure if it's easy for WPKG installer to
watch the console output of WPKG, but that would prevent constant
Registry changes.. ( Not sure there's a real problem w/ the constant reg
changes, but being we are talking of Windows.. I'd imagine something bad
can come of anything. )

Thanks for your time!
Michael