[wpkg-users] Priority vs Dependancy -- Order of Installation

Twan Fox twanfox at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 23:47:32 CET 2007

I had considered looking at WPKG to deploy Microsoft OS patches for my
workstations. With 83 of them at my last count, it's a daunting task. Part
of me wants to apply them in the same order as they were delivered to the
world, partly because I do not want two patches that overlap files to wind
up with anything but the latest file installed. I don't know if this should
be a concern of mine or not, but it brought me to an interesting connundrum
with WPKG.

I understand that higher priority packages are going to install first. I
know that, if one package/profile depends on another, that the other
package/profile will get installed as well, but does that imply the
dependancy will be installed first regardless of priority? In some cases, I
could see that as being a requirement. Software B requires Software A to be
installed first to register properly, but due to them being set at the same
priority, B installs first, then A, missing the required configuration
steps.

How does WPKG handle dependancies and how does it deal with order of
installation? If this is already answered in a FAQ somewhere, I apologize
for not having searched there first. I haven't had the luxury of time to
disect the code to read my answer directly.

Thanks,
Twanfox

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org