[wpkg-users] Suggestion for moving the networking architecture from a SMB acce ss method to a web/web services tool

Derek Werthmuller dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
Thu Oct 11 22:38:59 CEST 2007

Have been looking at your utility as a way to deploy and manage windows
systems.  The feature I like about the wpkg software is its ability to
check/ verify/ install/uninstall software.  With its option in tight XML
files.

What is troublesome is how it requires a file share to get the todo list and
packages to the systems to deploy.  This makes it difficult to securely
update systems that are not inside the secure network perimeter.

Also a bit troublesome for the user of the system is that they never know
when their system is going to make them wait for an update to login.  My
users will never logout then(just lock the screen).  Perhaps configuring the
install service wpkgsrv to be able to run on a sliding schedule window in
addition to at bootup/login time.  So I know office systems are all on at 2
am, so schedule the installs for them(but first make sure no one is logged
in, if so wait and check in an hour till the window is closed) at 2am -6am.

The todo list(wpkg.xml) and patch software should be also available vi http.
and the patches/apps should be downloaded to the client secure temp for
installation.  Installing over the net is a bit slower than offline.  And if
done offline its less disruptive to other users installs at the same time.
Once the tool can operate over http it wouldn't be all that hard to have the
clients send install state date up to the server for reporting etc..

I have a few programs written here to manage our windows XP systems that do
similar as I mentioned but don't have the nice configurability as your
installs.  Perhaps we can combine efforts to make a few changes and more
flexible tool set.  If there is interest in these features and adding code
let me know.

Cheers
Derek

wpkg-users mailing list