[wpkg-users] Suggestion for moving the networking architecture from a SMB acce ss method to a web/web services tool

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Oct 11 23:33:24 CEST 2007

Derek Werthmuller schrieb:
> Have been looking at your utility as a way to deploy and manage windows
> systems.  The feature I like about the wpkg software is its ability to
> check/ verify/ install/uninstall software.  With its option in tight XML
> files.
>
> What is troublesome is how it requires a file share to get the todo list and
> packages to the systems to deploy.  This makes it difficult to securely
> update systems that are not inside the secure network perimeter.

It is as secure as a normal file access in a Windows domain (I assume
you are using a Windows domain). You can set it to a local machine, too.

Anyway, you can always use some 3rd party tool, like scp, to download
the files to the local machine, and deploy it from there (i.e., use "pre
script" in WPKG Client).

> Also a bit troublesome for the user of the system is that they never know
> when their system is going to make them wait for an update to login.  My
> users will never logout then(just lock the screen).  Perhaps configuring the
> install service wpkgsrv to be able to run on a sliding schedule window in
> addition to at bootup/login time.  So I know office systems are all on at 2
> am, so schedule the installs for them(but first make sure no one is logged
> in, if so wait and check in an hour till the window is closed) at 2am -6am.

You can do it already with system tools like the Task Scheduler.

> The todo list(wpkg.xml) and patch software should be also available vi http.
> and the patches/apps should be downloaded to the client secure temp for
> installation.  Installing over the net is a bit slower than offline.  And if
> done offline its less disruptive to other users installs at the same time.
> Once the tool can operate over http it wouldn't be all that hard to have the
> clients send install state date up to the server for reporting etc..

There were some "http" patches in bugzilla (which didn't work very
well), but it was for downloading the installers.