[wpkg-users] no disk in the drive

Paul McGrath J.P.McGrath at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 10:16:22 CEST 2007

Mark,
  my experience of this error is nothing to do with WPKG or the
setup.exe but the particular installations of windows that have the
error.  It will be about a drive or card reader that is occupying the
letter that you have installed another application from which uses a
similar installation mechanism.  This mostly happens from using ghost
and sysprep to setup workstations.  To overcome this I have a vanilla
installation of XP which I install the wpkg service right before I
sysprep it.  I then ghost image it.  All my new machines are setup with
this image unique UIDs and I prioritise the packages that wpkg installs
with any problematic ones first.
  I cant remember what software it was now that caused my first "There
is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk" but basically it would
happen on systems that had different/extra drives to the system I
created my image XP on.
Paul

-----------------------

[wpkg-users] no disk in the drive
From: Mark Nienberg <gmane at ti...> - 2007-10-17 21:59
I have a package that runs a setup.exe file, which in turn runs some msi
installers.
The setup program works fine from a regular logged-on admin account, but
when run
from wpkg at boot, some workstations pop up several error dialog boxes
with

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk."

These error dialog boxes pop up while the logon is being delayed with
the standard
wpkg alternating progress boxes. I can manually click on the cancel
button in the
dialog boxes and they will be dismissed and allow the script to
complete. It doesn't
happen on every workstation.

The program being installed is Autodesk Revit Structural. Autodesk has
apparently
written their own installer. It is not one of the well known standards
like
installshield, etc.

The program requires frequent updating so I'd like to work this out. Any
ideas
appreciated.

Mark

------------------------------
Paul McGrath,
Computer Manager,
Sections of Oncology and Biostatistics and Epidemiology,
Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine,
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF, UK
Ext.....: Uni - 38630, NHS - (89)38630