[wpkg-users] no disk in the drive

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Thu Oct 18 23:38:04 CEST 2007

Paul McGrath wrote:
> Mark,
>   my experience of this error is nothing to do with WPKG or the
> setup.exe but the particular installations of windows that have the
> error.  It will be about a drive or card reader that is occupying the
> letter that you have installed another application from which uses a
> similar installation mechanism.  This mostly happens from using ghost
> and sysprep to setup workstations.  To overcome this I have a vanilla
> installation of XP which I install the wpkg service right before I
> sysprep it.  I then ghost image it.  All my new machines are setup with
> this image unique UIDs and I prioritise the packages that wpkg installs
> with any problematic ones first.
>   I cant remember what software it was now that caused my first "There
> is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk" but basically it would
> happen on systems that had different/extra drives to the system I
> created my image XP on.
> Paul

That is pretty interesting.  My workstations are all ghost/sysprep deployments.  Some
of our monitors have built-in card readers, so there is no doubt that the drives are
different than the one that the image was created on.  I've been installing wpkg on
the cloned machines after they are created.

The msg only pops up when running the setup under wpkg at boot, not when running
setup as a real user.

Mark

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org