[wpkg-users] LogonUser problem when testing WPKG Client settings

Dieter Scholz rd-disc at gmx.net
Tue Apr 8 09:50:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

> > When using a local administrator user account (not SYSTEM) for
> > installation of the packages I found that when clicking "Test setup" the
> > following error occured:
> >
> > LogonUser -> Der Client besitzt ein erforderliches Recht nicht
> > (in engl.: the client is missing a necessary right)
>
> I think it's missing the "log on as service" right. To change you need
> to edit the group policy:
> Start => run...
> "gpedit.msc"
> Then go to Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows
> Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment
>
> and change "Log on as Service" value (add Administrator - or any other
> user you like to use).
>
> DE: Ich glaube im deutschen Windows heisst das so viel wie "Als Dienst
> anmelden" aber hab' gerade kein deutsches Windows hier.

Changed that. After a restart gpedit shows that this rule is in use.

> > But when I use this setup everything works just fine.
>
> Hmm, probably it's using SYSTEM anyway... Check the service properties.

That's correct. The service user was still SYSTEM. When I change it to
Administrator and restart the service wpkg runs as Administrator. But in the
event log the error message above still occurs everytime I restart the
service. If I use another user with admin rights a message appears if this
user should be allowed to run as a service to which I agreed. But the test
and the service restart still fails with the same error message.

If I change back to SYSTEM everything works fine again.

Perhaps I should mention I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 without any additional
patches.

Additionally, I rechecked my XP setup and I found that the wpkg service uses
the SYSTEM account, too. But I specified a real account with admin
privileges. But on that maschine the tests do not fail and the error
described above does not occur.

Any ideas?

Greetings,

Dieter