[wpkg-users] LogonUser problem when testing WPKG Client settings

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 8 10:26:58 CEST 2008

Dieter Scholz schrieb:

(...)

> If I change back to SYSTEM everything works fine again.
>
> Perhaps I should mention I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 without any additional
> patches.
>
> Additionally, I rechecked my XP setup and I found that the wpkg service uses
> the SYSTEM account, too. But I specified a real account with admin
> privileges. But on that maschine the tests do not fail and the error
> described above does not occur.

The service itself is started from a SYSTEM account and generally you
shouldn't change it.
Only later it switches the user to whatever you configured in wpkginst.exe.

So as far as I understand, it works properly for you (i.e., the service
starts properly), but the "Test settings..." button does not give you
proper results if you configure WPKG Client to start as a local
administrator in wpkginst.exe?
In practice, it may work like that in certain circumstances, because:

1. Service starts originally as SYSTEM, later switches to a configured
account
2. You start wpkginst.exe as a local Administrator, and when you press
"Test settings...", it fails to do some things.

This may be because of some security settings in Local Policies, as
Rainer mentioned.
With the default Windows XP SP2 installation, testing settings works for
me if I use a local Administrator account (although I have to admit I
didn't test it on a 100% fresh installation). Moreover, changing "Log on
as Service" settings doesn't change anything for me, so perhaps it is
defined somewhere else, too.