[wpkg-users] wpkg insanely slow

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Wed Apr 16 08:45:55 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I guess you are using WPKG Client?

Yes.

> Could you do the following:
>
> 1. Use "Show" WPKG user interface in WPKG Client
> 2. Put cmd.exe as "Execute before"
> 3. Log in, and try to browse the network / XML files from the cmd.exe
> window manually. Try to do "net use \\server\share /user:DOMAIN\user
> pass", see if it works, etc.

Ok. Can do this. Duh. I should have turned off the login delay. Looks
like I am out of time today, will do so tomorrow.

> I doubt this slowness is a result of an error in wpkg.js or WPKG Client
> (but who knows...).

Same here.

 > It looks like some strange network problems (WINS,
> DNS, but also duplicate IP addresses, or even duplicate MAC address,
> which is extremely hard to debug).

None of those issues seems likely. Yes, I know, it is possible to have
duplicate MAC addresses, but on two separate computers with different
brand network adaptors?

> You also notice "unexpected network error" when you try to start WPKG
> Client as a user with domain credentials - although you didn't paste a
> full error message, most WPKG Client error messages are those reported
> by the operating system.
>
> See also: http://www.google.com/search?q=unexpected+network+error

Hmmm. Maybe I should have prefixed the user name with the name of the
domain? Will try that tomorrow.

Brian May