[wpkg-users] Question about multi-domain environment

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Apr 24 17:01:03 CEST 2008

Karl schrieb:
> Hello,
>

> I hope my question will be answered
>

> We manage a multi-domain environment and we want to test this WPKG tool
> in order to deploy some programs ans patches to several domains. Is this
> possible? How do the rights work with this?

Essentially, what you're referring to as "WPKG" consists of two parts:

1) wpkg.js - it's the brain of WPKG and does all package
installation/upgrades, checks, logging etc.
2) WPKG Client - it's a tool which helps you start wpkg.js on your clients

Technically speaking, you can use wpkg.js without WPKG Client, i.e. by
starting it as a script in group policy, as a Scheduled Tasks job etc.

So at this point (you only use wpkg.js) it will work with several
domains, provided you start it properly.

WPKG Client adds a couple of nice features, and eases the deployment,
especially if you don't have a AD domain (but a Samba one).

You didn't specify what do you want to achieve? I.e., do you have
multiple domains, but want all your workstations access one fileserver?

Assuming you give proper credentials in WPKG Client, I don't see why it
shouldn't work.