[wpkg-users] new web-based wpkg manager

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Aug 4 10:51:36 CEST 2008

Rainer Meier schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> mscdex wrote:
>> Thank you for the suggestions. Regarding the XML import/export, I'm not
>> sure what the purpose of this would be? The way I imagined the frontend
>> to be was that it would work directly with the xml files on disk and
>> none of that information would be stored in a database.
>
> OK, this idea sounds good for me too. However there are some points
> which have to be taken into consideration. If the web GUI directly edits
> the XML files, then the same server is supposed to run the GUI as well
> as the windows share (or Samba) which might not fit some environments
> (no web server service on file servers).
>
> I am not concerned about speed as we are not talking about millions of
> XML files but rather about less than 100.
>
> Personally I thought the GUI would store its package information into a
> DB backend or a local storage. In such case XML import/export would be
> very helpful for migration purposes too.
> The current WPKG WEB supports downloading of packages.xml (including all
>   package definitions) using HTTP protocol (including basic
> authentication). Personally I am using this option at the moment. It is
> quite an efficient way to read the XML files. Reading them from a CIFS
> share is less efficient.

A command line interface for retrieving the files directly from either:

a) the database, or
b) from the web interface
wget would do here, provided there are some sane links and files to
download from, i.e.:

http://server/wpkg-web/all-packages.txt

would return a list of all packages, one package in a row.

Then, iterate through a list, i.e.:

http://server/wpkg-web/packages/$package.xml

Useful for the servers which don't have any web interface.