[wpkg-users] new web-based wpkg manager

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Aug 4 11:05:53 CEST 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> A command line interface for retrieving the files directly from either:
>
> a) the database, or
> b) from the web interface
> wget would do here, provided there are some sane links and files to
> download from, i.e.:
>
> http://server/wpkg-web/all-packages.txt
>
> would return a list of all packages, one package in a row.
>
> Then, iterate through a list, i.e.:
>
> http://server/wpkg-web/packages/$package.xml
>
> Useful for the servers which don't have any web interface.

The current WPKG WEB interface supplies a similar interface. Instead of
having to fetch a list first it returns an XML file containing _all_
packages. Note that one XML file can contain as many package definitions
as you like:

<packages>
	<package ...>
	</package>
	<package ...>
	</package>
</packages>

So WPKG even does not have to fetch a list first in order to fetch the
package definitions.

However I think it is not a problem for a WEB interface to provide all
interfaces:
- URL to fetch XML with all package definitions
- URL to fetch list with package names
- URL to fetch XML which contains only single package definition

It also does not matter if the platform stores the XML files internally
to one or to several XML files (or to database) it just needs to provide
the information on a defined interface. Of course it would be nice if at
least the existing interface for WPGK WEB would be stills upported
(fetching single XML file with all package definitions).