[wpkg-users] WPKG client 1.2.1 oddities..

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Aug 7 17:49:54 CEST 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> If you're using "net use ..." as "Execute before", can it be that there
> are conflicting network information for Windows?

Yes, this can happen. I pointed this out several times on this list
already. For example Windows might connect network printers from the
same server as you are about to connect a share. In such case even "net
use * /delete" does not help due to the fact that the printer is not a
network share and is therefore not disconnected.

> Windows has some problems mounting different network shares with
> different network credentials - can it be it?

To be more precise Windows is unable to mount multiple shares from the
_same_ server using different credentials. It does not matter if it is
the same or a different share you try to mount. Windows can only save
one set of credentials PER SERVER. As a result the first resource you
use will set the credentials to be used for all other resources on the
same server (unless you manage to disconnect all of them first).

In case a workstation maps a printer from a server this might be
connected using guest credentials (even before WPKG runs) and therefore
mapping a share from the same server using different credentials fails.

Therefore I repeat my advise: Use a server (or alias) which does not
provide other Windows resources than the ones required by WPKG.