[wpkg-users] Server connection failed with RealTek cards

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Aug 28 13:12:47 CEST 2008

Hi Florian,

> It's on two series of Gigabyte mainboards we ordered lately, as
> onboard PCI express cards. Don't know the exact board models (they are
> on a remote location and not at my home office), but can get them for
> your if needed. The card was quite strange right from the beginning.
> All drivers available didn't work with RIS. With the help of Gianluigi
> Tiesi from http://oss.netfarm.it/guides/pxe.php I was able to find out
> why. The driver only were for REV_01, while the card itself identified
> to the BINL server without REV_01, where no drivers were available.
> After patching the INF file, it worked fine. In Windows, the card is
> now known as REV_02 and seem to work even according to the INF file
> there is no driver for REV_02...
>
> It has this PCI ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458

Holy sh... that's exactly the model which caused me to waste some of my
time as well. I was desperately looking for RIS drivers to integrate. I
also ended up modifying the INF file and adding the missing PCI IDs my
myself. Driver support for this model seems to be quite crap at the moment.

However I did not yet discover the problem with broken driver
initialization during Windows startup (see my other message). But the
reason is that I did not use this machine on a corporate network, just
as a stand-alone machine.

So the drivers might be broken currently. Probably Realtek is going to
fix it. If not, then we could try to work-around the problem. It might
help to configure WPKG client to run a (local) pre- script which is just
sleeping for a minute or so. Then WPKG client might continue to mount
the share and run wpkg.js from it.

Of course this is a work-around only and I am quite sure there is an MS
KB entry for such broken NIC drivers (unfortunately did not find it
again, yet).