[wpkg-users] ProEngineer Solution

Brian Reese breese at boston-engineering.com
Mon Dec 15 21:57:45 CET 2008

Hey David,

I appreciate your post about how to deal with ProE. Based off that idea, I was able to improve your method a little bit. You had wpkg simply wait 30 mins before moving on, a brute force type of method, but effective nonetheless. Since I need to support 3 concurrent installs of ProE (Wildfires 2, 3 and 4) I couldn't wait for 1 and 1/2 hours total. I isolated the actual ProE installer ("ptc[###]_tmp.exe" where [###] is some random Hexadecimal character) and decided to write a python script loop which checks for the existence of that service before quitting. Also, to allow the same script to be used for each ProE installation, I setup the script to take in 3 arguments as the network drive, path to setup.exe and path to trail file. Also, cmd doesn't support UNC paths, so we used the commands "net use" to mount and unmount the drives before and after installation. Python is installed across the network VIA a network share, the same way you would do for logon scripts. I'll include the WPKG install commands and then attach the python script. I plan on posting this information up to the silent installers list, so others can now hate PTC less :). Thanks again Dave.

WPKG entries:

<package
   id="proengineer2"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0"
   revision="2.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="4">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 2.0 Datecode M280" />
   <install cmd='%WPKGROOT%\tools\Python26\python.exe %Software%\ProE\proe-installer.py y "software\wpkg\Software\ProE\WildFire2\Disk1of3\setup.exe -uitrail" software\wpkg\Software\ProE\WildFire2\Disk1of3\WF2TrailFile.txt' />
</package>

<package
   id="proengineer3"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0"
   revision="3.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="3">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 3.0 Datecode M170" />
   <install cmd='%WPKGROOT%\tools\Python26\python.exe %Software%\ProE\proe-installer.py y "software\wpkg\Software\ProE\WildFire3\Disk1of3\setup.exe -uitrail" software\wpkg\Software\ProE\WildFire3\Disk1of3\WF3TrailFile.txt' />

</package>

<package
   id="proengineer4"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0"
   revision="4.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="2">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 4.0 Datecode M040" />
   <install cmd='%WPKGROOT%\tools\Python26\python.exe %Software%\ProE\proe-installer.py y "software\wpkg\Software\ProE\WildFire4\Disk1of5\setup.exe -uitrail" software\wpkg\Software\ProE\WildFire4\Disk1of5\WF4TrailFile.txt' />
</package>

Brian Reese
IT Desktop Support
Boston Engineering