[wpkg-users] Logging enhancement request

grubi CAGYKZCNMKSY at spammotel.com
Mon Feb 18 12:28:59 CET 2008

Hi Falko.

> There has been much discussion about that on the list already.
> To have something like this (you can call it log rotation) I just use
> [HOSTNAME]-[mm].log and sort the log directory by time. So I get all the
> log files, containing the whole installation process. There is not much
> propability that the files get overwritten too soon.

No sure if it is a good idea to integarte log rotation directly into
wpkg. This one could easily be done by regularily scheduling a simple
jscript deleting all files older than a specific date. Additionally you
could also do things like packing old logs and move them to a different
location. This approach reduces complexity of wpkg and still gives you
all the flexibility you need.

However what IMHO is still missing is the flexibility to specify that
logs are appended and not overwritten. If you look at other apps you
will find that appending to logs it the most often default behavour for
logging because this ensures that no important information gets lost.

Just my 2 cents.
grubi.