[wpkg-users] Logging enhancement request

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Mon Feb 18 10:35:35 CET 2008

grubi --> 16.02.2008 15:39:
> Hi Florian,
>> You could add the date to the filename, see config.xml for details.
> That is what we already did. Currently we have
> [HOSTNAME]-[YYYY]-[MM]-[DD] which of course do not prevent the log to be
> overwritten during necessary reboots. Sure we could also add [mm] and
> [ss] to prevent this but then the whole installation process of one
> machine would be spread among multiple logs which is also not very
> pleasent. That beeing said I'm still convinced that having a setting
> like AppendToLogFile=Yes/no would not be that bad.

There has been much discussion about that on the list already.
To have something like this (you can call it log rotation) I just use
[HOSTNAME]-[mm].log and sort the log directory by time. So I get all the
log files, containing the whole installation process. There is not much
propability that the files get overwritten too soon.

Falko