[wpkg-users] WPKG Client 1.2rc6 service doesnt install or start (XP SP2)

Phil Burrow philburrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 02:11:46 CET 2008

Greetings,

On a particular Windows XP SP2 machine I am having problems getting the
WPKG Client to properly install the service. I've installed it on loads
of machines already with no problems.

I downloaded the 1.2rc6 version of the client and ran the installer
which proceeded as expected. I went into the install directory and
opened the GUI, filled in the parameters. Tested and all was OK. Clicked
Save. Rebooted and expected to see some WPKG messages but nothing appeared.

I checked to see if the WPKG service was running, but it was not even in
the list of services on that machine.

I double clicked the WPKGSrv.exe file within the default wpkg
installation directory and it opened a command window saying:

StartServiceCtrlDispatcher is being called.
This may take several seconds. Please wait.

This window disappears and the service does not start. Event log shows
the following:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( WpkgService ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
is part of the event: WpkgService error: 1063,
StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed..

The XP machine has almost every optional Windows XP update applied to it
including .NET Framework 2.0. My WPKG server side files are hosted on
Samba in a folder called WPKG and are accessed read only by user wpkg.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the client a million times in the hope of
a more helpful error message or a working installation but had no luck.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil