[wpkg-users] WPKG Client 1.2rc6 service doesnt install or start (XP SP2)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Jan 13 12:38:42 CET 2008

Phil Burrow schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>> In particular, try:
>>
>> cd %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg\
>> WPKGsrv.exe /install
>>
>> WPKGsrv.exe /debug
>>

>> And tell what happened (Event Log entries, etc.).
>
> OK I have found what appears to be at least one of the main issues.
>
> Within the client I entered the username to access the network as
> "wpkg". Testing this showed OK using the test feature.
>
> However the service would not start and returned the error in my
>
> I changed the user to "DOMAIN\wpkg". The service will now start.

This seems to be an issue for some users. Perhaps we should add a domain
automatically if none was present. Right now, I'll add it to the FAQ.

> The problem still remains that the installer did not install the service
> though (but WPKGSrv.exe /install worked fine).

Well, if it's really an old XP installation, I don't think we can easily
fix this bug if there is no way to reproduce it.

I have an old XP installation which doesn't start the service needed for
wireless automatically, even though it's set to auto. Also, no idea why,
Event Log doesn't give a clue.