[wpkg-users] Cannot install wpkg on W2k3 Terminal Server

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Mar 28 08:41:58 CET 2008

Hi Tomoasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Probably, the installer needs some love on Windows 2003. I can't give
> you any help right now, and what's worse, I don't have access to a
> Windows 2003 installation I could experiment on.

Probably Alan could try an earlier version of WPKG GUI. Probably 1.2-rc6
which is basically the same compiled on an older Visual Studio as you said.

In fact I was getting a similar message recently on a Windows Vista
32-bit machine. It did not state any "Runtime Error" but just said that
the uninstall procedure failed "in an unusual way". Yes, it happened to
me when trying to remove the package. After that also a
re-install/repair failed with the same message. So I was unable to
repair or uninstall it.

I had to manually clean all WPKG entries from the registry to be able to
re-install it.

> Do you have any errors in Event Log as it happens?

At least on my machine there have been no more information within the
event log than displayed already within the dialog window. "This
application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Most probably it is somehow related to the way the WPKG GUI installer
calls wpkginst.exe after copying the files to the local disk. Probably
just the exit codes of wpkginst.exe are to b changed... who knows...