[wpkg-users] Cannot install wpkg on W2k3 Terminal Server

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Mar 28 09:00:25 CET 2008

 > At least on my machine there have been no more information within the
 > event log than displayed already within the dialog window. "This
 > application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
 > way."

Addition. Google gives lots of hits when using the error message as a
search term:

<http://www.google.ch/search?q=This+application+has+requested+the+Runtime+to+terminate+in+an+unusual+way&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official>

For Windows XP there seems to be a hotfix, but no available to the public:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538>

Seems to be a problem with msvcirt.dll

Some people on the boards claim that they fixed the problem by
uninstalling the Google Toolbar and any other IE toolbars. If I remember
correctly the Google Toolbar has been installed as well on that Vista
32-bit machine I got the same error.

Here they claim that it is related to the "Advanced text services
framework" which is an optional feature of XP (AFAIK):
<http://www.winway.com/Main3/support/Resume/RuntimeErr/TermUnusualWay.aspx>
In Vista it is always included. I don't know about Windows 2003.

Unfortunately after googling I did not find a solution yet how to fix or
work-around that problem.