[wpkg-users] WPKG and LDAP based hosts list

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri May 9 14:57:06 CEST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> After testing WPKG for serveral weeks now, I can say I'm happy.

Nice to hear.

> As I have several samba-LDAP server, on several sites, I want to put
> most of the informations in the LDAP.

I am using LDAP too but never thought about maintaining packages there.

> The question is: if I work on WPKG to add LDAP support to retrieve
> hosts's profiles, could it be integrated to wpkg?

Actually I never thought about it. Theoretically you could even store
package definitions there but this would be of very little use as you
need a share anyway to store the software. And XML is quite a simple and
stable way of handling it.

Well, I think you mainly thought about adding a profile attribute to the
host definition in LDAP (as anyway each domain member computer has an
LDAP entry).

As I said, I never thought about it yet. I will make a note on my
feature list. In general I think it mainly depends on the question if
there is any WSH API available to query LDAP (to be honest I have some
doubts).
Highest priority for WPKG (my priority) is to keep it stable. If it is
too much of a hack I do not recommend it.

> I need to learn VB first ;-), but is this feature interessting for
> someone?

As I said, I never thought about it up to now. It could be an idea.
However storing just the profile association to the host within LDAP is
not a huge benefit compared to host definition XML file.

You don't need to learn VB, wpkg.js is JScript. And exactly here we are
quite limited sometimes...

So currently there are no concrete plans for WPKG LDAP integration.