[wpkg-users] WPKG and LDAP based hosts list

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Fri May 9 15:40:59 CEST 2008

Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> writes:

> Actually I never thought about it. Theoretically you could even store
> package definitions there but this would be of very little use as you
> need a share anyway to store the software. And XML is quite a simple and
> stable way of handling it.
>
> Well, I think you mainly thought about adding a profile attribute to the
> host definition in LDAP (as anyway each domain member computer has an
> LDAP entry).

Exactly, my problem is that I have 180 sites, each one with a
samba-ldap, the packages definitions are the same for all the sites,
so a rsync and it's ok.

The problem is hosts.xml, as I want to manage it in a centralised way,
I thought about LDAP first.

> As I said, I never thought about it yet. I will make a note on my
> feature list. In general I think it mainly depends on the question if
> there is any WSH API available to query LDAP (to be honest I have some
> doubts).
> Highest priority for WPKG (my priority) is to keep it stable. If it is
> too much of a hack I do not recommend it.

After looking quickly on Internet, it seems to have the possibility to
query an LDAP with WSH.

> As I said, I never thought about it up to now. It could be an idea.
> However storing just the profile association to the host within LDAP is
> not a huge benefit compared to host definition XML file.

As I said, managing 180 hosts.xml can be painful ;-)

> You don't need to learn VB, wpkg.js is JScript. And exactly here we are
> quite limited sometimes...
>
> So currently there are no concrete plans for WPKG LDAP integration.

I'll look at this, I'll try to propose a decent path and you'll
decide.

Regards.
--
Daniel Dehennin