[wpkg-users] Package Renaming [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Leon Hedding (ICT) Leon.Hedding at ict.om.org
Tue May 20 10:27:53 CEST 2008

So possibly using a GUID as the package could already be done. The main
difficulty with that is that it is not easy to remember and type in.

The advantage is that once a package has been installed you don't ever
have to worry when renaming a package for any reason. It would be an
optional header in the XML that is only checked for upgrades and
uninstalls and only if it did not already meet the requirement of the
package ID.

The upgrade from Gaim to Pidgin was possible, but required two packages.
I bring this point up because I have had difficulties with case
sensitivity in the past and had to perform a rename of all my packages.
I know that wpkg now support non-case sensitive checks so that is a big
bonus. There are places that have run once cmd's which do not create a
residual file that is used for checking. In those instances as well it
would be helpful to have a GUID option as well.

Cheers,

Leon Hedding