[wpkg-users] Package Renaming [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue May 20 10:37:00 CEST 2008

Hi Leon,

Leon Hedding (ICT) wrote:
> So possibly using a GUID as the package could already be done. The main
> difficulty with that is that it is not easy to remember and type in.

Yes, you should be able to use any string within the id attribute of a
package. Probably the GUID is not used that often since it is hard to
remember ;-)
WPKG usually also prints the name attribute within the log files, to
event log and on screen to allow a more descriptive output.

The problem of the OP is slightly different. He imposes a package
naming-convention which has not been there before. So also GUID would
not help since he wants to have a specific naming convention.

> The advantage is that once a package has been installed you don't ever
> have to worry when renaming a package for any reason. It would be an
> optional header in the XML that is only checked for upgrades and
> uninstalls and only if it did not already meet the requirement of the
> package ID.
>
> The upgrade from Gaim to Pidgin was possible, but required two packages.
> I bring this point up because I have had difficulties with case
> sensitivity in the past and had to perform a rename of all my packages.
> I know that wpkg now support non-case sensitive checks so that is a big
> bonus. There are places that have run once cmd's which do not create a
> residual file that is used for checking. In those instances as well it
> would be helpful to have a GUID option as well.

Here I am not sure any more if we understand each other correctly. WPKG
works with package IDs which clearly identifies a specific package
within the database. Of course you can also enter the GUID there but I
don't think this will be of any advantage since some applications also
change their GUID for each release.

To make it clear again. WPKG uses two attributes within the package
which can be used:
id:
This attribute is the unique identifier of each package. It cannot be
changed/renamed without making WPKG think it is a different package. So
if you put the GUID there it's fine - as long as you don't change the GUID.

name:
More descriptive name - you can put any string in here. You might also
change this name later on without affecting WPKG at all.

So to take our Pidgin example again you could create a package like

<packages>
      <package
	id="{unique-GUID}"
	name="Gaim"
	revision="1"
	reboot="false"
	priority="100">

      </package>
</packages>

After the release of Pidgin you can do the following:

<packages>
      <package
	id="{unique-GUID}"
	name="Pidgin"
	revision="2"
	reboot="false"
	priority="100">

      </package>
</packages>

This would upgrade the Gaim Package to Pidgin. As long as you do not
change the GUID within the "id" field.

I am not fully sure if this is what you meant. So please don't shoot me
if not. I am sure you could explain it to me if this did not match your
expectations.