[wpkg-users] WPKG and Vista UAC

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu May 22 13:13:02 CEST 2008

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimír Pšenička wrote:
> I have found problem with Vista machines and UAC enabled. When WPKG
> client starts on Vista machine and start installing some SW a see in
> event log permission errors (about need to elevate user rights, although
> user installing SW is member of domain admins group) I have czech
> Windows so I apologize for mistakes in translation.  Is possible to
> install SW with WPKG correctly on Vista with UAC enabled?

So I assume you're running WPKG manually (by the user logged in). You
might consider running WPKG automatically as a service using WPKG
client. WPKG client installs a service which runs with SYSTEM
privileges. This works even with UAC enabled.

Alternatively have a look at my execute-elevated.js script I recently
created. You can find it here:
<http://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wpkg/wpkg/current-development/tools/execute-elevated/>

For example you can run it as follows:

execute-elevated.js \\path\to\wpkg.js /synchronize

An UAC dialog will pop up asking you for the administrator
account/password. If your user has administrator privileges, then you
might also enter the same user credentials again. After that wpkg.js is
launched by execute-elevated.js with elevated privileges.