[wpkg-users] Lots of open connections on Samba server for WPKG user

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Nov 25 15:17:49 CET 2008

Hi Paul,

Paul McGrath wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.
>
> I have a Mac Panther server which has a share with my WPKG files on, it
> is also a windows domain controller.  I have an account called testuser
> which is used by WPKG.
>
> WPKG successfully installs packages onto all my PCs in my domain.  My
> problem is that the connection is kept open for testuser on every PC in
> my domain that has run WPKG.
>
> I can restart the windows service on the Panther server which closes all
> the testuser connections but after a day I have another 100+ open
> connections.
>
> Anyone know how I can force testuser to logoff after the WPKG process
> has completed?

Interesting findings. I personally never experienced such a behavior on
my machines. Although they are running Linux with Samba as a domain
controller.

WPKG itself is not opening an SMB/CIFS connection. Instead WPKG client
is doing it prior to invoking wpkg.js from the connected share. There
might be some problem to disconnect the network share (which WPKG client
usually does) on Mac OS.

I personally use the option that the WPKG service (see WPKG client
options) exits after WPKG execution. Probably you could try this option.