[wpkg-users] Per-user installation?

Justin Brinegar brinegar at physics.unc.edu
Tue Dec 15 00:11:43 CET 2009

Glad I could help.

Looks like WinDirStat's newest version defaults to C:\Program
Files\WinDirStat.  According to the installation dialog, it is merely
placing executables and creating folders/.lnk files for Start
Menu/Desktop shortcuts.  I confirmed this is all that's happening by
looking at windirstat1_1_2-src\make\setup\setup.cpp (look at it starting
around lines 162 and line 206).  You could just place these things into
a user location with a logon script if you wanted - though each user's
location would be different and you may need to create custom shortcuts
if you do this.  It doesn't look like WinDirStat is a moving target.
Since I employ roaming profiles, I try to keep only the bare minimum in
user profiles and I install absolutely all applications to user agnostic
locations on machines.  For something as small as WinDirStat, I can't
imagine people would complain that a given machine now has 1mb less
available space.

While I can't attest to LightScribe from experience, many applications
support more than one directory for plugins/themes/etc - and usually at
least one that is system-wide.  If this is true for LightScribe, you may
not have to worry about installing to user locations at all.

Justin