[wpkg-users] WPKG with multiple systems and architectures

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Feb 11 12:54:48 CET 2009

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> I speak about declaring <package/> attributes as variables,
> automatically, without the need to declare them in a <variable/> stanza.
>
> This is just pure syntax lazyness ;-) and coherency, I declare the
> version onetime (in <package revision=/> and use it every where.

Well WPKG does not export package attributes as variables ans for
architectural reasons I do not plan to support such a thing. Such
variables could easily clash with user-defined variables and lead to
unexpected behavior.

So the way of WPKG is to declare variables using <variable/> if you need
 to define a variable.

But as I wrote in this case there is no need for a variable and even no
need to change the package XML content (except for the revision of the
package itself).

Please also note that the revision of the package itself is not
necessarily identical to the application version. Some users even prefer
to start with package revision 1 and then increase the number on each
change to the package (no matter which version the application to be
installed has). Older versions of WPKG also do not allow to use a dotted
expression within the revision field and require to use a single integer
number only.