[wpkg-users] Special install command not working

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Feb 11 15:31:55 CET 2009

Hi Mike,

Mike Burgener wrote:
> Hmm, it works on a non domain-member machine, so I think it cannot be a
> permission problem, for me it looks like the installer does not get the
> "yes" when run by wpkg.

Credentials and access rights is not a thing which only exists in
domains. Also workgroups and stand-alone machines use credentials. For
example if you create a share on XP professional, then you can access
the share only if you use the same user on the remote machine (username
and password is the same). Actually in such cases the following accounts
are involved:

Machine A (publishing the share):
MACHINEA\user (using password X)

Machine B (accessing the share):
MACHINEB\user (using password X)

So if you access the share from machine B then Windows will first try to
 use "MACHINEB\user" account. Unfortunately this will not work since
it's a local user. Depending on Windows configuration it will then try
to use "user" only which succeeds if on machine A there is a user called
"user" too.

If both fail Windows will also try to use the "Guest" account with no
password. Unfortunately this account is disabled by default.

You might just try to enable the guest account and allow access to the
share by Guest. This case Windows will always succeed to access the
share. No matter which local user is currently logged on (SYSTEM in case
of WPKG).