[wpkg-users] Basic behaviour of WPKG

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:31:16 CEST 2009

I've been thinking about WPKGs default behaviour (following from earlier
discussions) and I'd like to start a genuine discussion on changing its
current behaviour.

Currently, WPKG will attempt to remove an existing package from the local
compuer wpkg.xml file if it decides that an existing package is no longer
referenced for that computer, regardless of the lack on any remove cmd in
the package.

I believe that it would be better if it didn't and that it should only
remove a package from wpkg,xml if it decides that the package no longer
applies and there is a remove cmd in the package.

Also, the current default behaviour of attempting and upgrade before
attempting a removal doesn't feel to me to be the best way of dealing with a
faulty remove cmd as I think it is not a logical action to take.

I can understand that it allows for multiple attempts to get the removal
right but I think that if a removal has gone wrong, it would be better to
write a new "hunter-seeker" :) package to correct the error.

I don't think having lots of different flags is the way forward and it would
be better to reach consensus :)

regards

Simon