[wpkg-users] Basic behaviour of WPKG

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:25:21 CEST 2009

> I've been thinking about WPKGs default behaviour (following from earlier
> discussions) and I'd like to start a genuine discussion on changing its
> current behaviour.
>
> Currently, WPKG will attempt to remove an existing package from the local
> compuer wpkg.xml file if it decides that an existing package is no longer
> referenced for that computer, regardless of the lack on any remove cmd in
> the package.
>
> I believe that it would be better if it didn't and that it should only
> remove a package from wpkg,xml if it decides that the package no longer
> applies and there is a remove cmd in the package.
>
> Also, the current default behaviour of attempting and upgrade before
> attempting a removal doesn't feel to me to be the best way of dealing with a
> faulty remove cmd as I think it is not a logical action to take.
>
> I can understand that it allows for multiple attempts to get the removal
> right but I think that if a removal has gone wrong, it would be better to
> write a new "hunter-seeker" :) package to correct the error.
>
> I don't think having lots of different flags is the way forward and it would
> be better to reach consensus :)
>
> regards
>
> Simon

The only thing I would perhaps view as a missing feature is the ability to alter the package xml file contents without having to increment the version number and therefore force an upgrade.  I can see why the current method is in place though I've not used it myself.  I don't even use upgrade commands, I tend to remove an existing app and create a new xml file for the new version.

Writing a package just to remove a faulty package is a bit long winded and slightly illogical to me, but maybe I'm missing something!