[wpkg-users] WPKG 1.1.0 says revision change from 864 to 8.64 is a downgrade, for 1.0.4 they were the same

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Wed Jun 10 19:06:10 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Pendl Stefan wrote:
> Hello,
>        I just noticed a change between WPKG 1.0.4 and 1.1.0
> I have set up a separate testing server folder for WPKG, so it is easier to check changes on my testing machines without the need to create separate testing packages.
>
> I have noticed that I have forgotten the dot for one package revision and changed it for 1.0.4, which didn't have any effect.
>
> The test environment is running 1.1.0 and I noticed that this change was now aknowledged and the log of the machine included that it does a downgrade, which seems to be strange.
>
> Adding dots should not make any difference if the order and number of digits is the same.

What you can do is to specify some <downgrade /> commands which will then do the
installation. In many cases the downgrade command would anyway look identical to
the upgrade command (either just install the package or uninstall and then
install). So in most cases it does not matter if WPKG detects if the package is
newer or older - it just detects a version mismatch and executes appropriate
commands. After that WPKG will write your (fixed) version 8.64 to the local
wpkg.xml.
<<

Hi Rainer,
     I have rechecked the two versions of wpkg.js and found that versionCompare has only 6 hits for 1.0.4 and 21 hits for 1.1.1 RC2
There is much changed and I did not know about the downgrade feature, which might come in handy.

1.0.4 did not check for lower revision numbers, but 1.1.0 does ;-)

Thanks for clarifying and have a nice one,
Stefan