[wpkg-users] WPKG 1.1.0 says revision change from 864 to 8.64 is a downgrade, for 1.0.4 they were the same

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Jun 10 18:45:15 CEST 2009

Hi Stefan,

Pendl Stefan wrote:
> Hello,
>
>        I just noticed a change between WPKG 1.0.4 and 1.1.0
>
> I have set up a separate testing server folder for WPKG, so it is easier to check changes on my testing machines without the need to create separate testing packages.
>

> I have noticed that I have forgotten the dot for one package revision and changed it for 1.0.4, which didn't have any effect.
>

> The test environment is running 1.1.0 and I noticed that this change was now aknowledged and the log of the machine included that it does a downgrade, which seems to be strange.
>

> Adding dots should not make any difference if the order and number of digits is the same.

Of course dots matter. Especially when supporting multi-dotted version numbers.
And in your example 864 is clearly a higher number than 8 (or let's say 864.00
is clearly higher than 8.64).

WPKG version compare takes dots into accounts. In old WPKG versions only integer
values (no dots) were allowed. Now WPKG compares the version numbers starting
from the left side.

So for me this is not a bug but an expected behavior. Anyway there are some
reports in Bugzilla asking for an extension - but none of them requests to
ignore dots. This would lead to quite strange behavior anyway.
However it's planned to rework the version parsing algorithm slightly in the
future but I do not have an algorithm in mind which will accept 8.64 to be newer
than 864.

What you can do is to specify some <downgrade /> commands which will then do the
installation. In many cases the downgrade command would anyway look identical to
the upgrade command (either just install the package or uninstall and then
install). So in most cases it does not matter if WPKG detects if the package is
newer or older - it just detects a version mismatch and executes appropriate
commands. After that WPKG will write your (fixed) version 8.64 to the local
wpkg.xml.