[wpkg-users] [poll]How do you use WPKG

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 22:19:56 CEST 2009

Just wondered how others around here use WPKG.

I use it  very simply :)

I just copy a shortcut to the all users startup folder and run a batch file
containing cscript %WPKGROOT%\wpkg.js /synchronise
(currently modifying this to put a batch file directly into the startup
folder that delays calling the server bat file to allow for network
connectivity delays with wireless clients.)

I use a .bat file to install this shortcut which also inserts some windows
enviroment variables into the registry.  I just manually run the install
batch file on new machines and the re-boot to let WPKG take over installing
software.

I only create a package if I can see an overall benefit over manually
installing software on each client (sometimes its easier to go around 15
machines with the CD rather than spend days working out how to automate it!)

I try to create .vbs or .bat files that do the hard work of deploying
software so that I can test the .vbs or .bat file to make it sure it works
first before trying to get WPKG to run it from a package.

I sometimes use an installer from the wiki but not very often.

I'm currently adding in the code for grubi's wpkgCreateReport addon to my
sites.

None of my sites use AD - servers are mostly W2K3 servers simply running as
file/printer servers and one site uses a Linux NAS box.

regards

Simon