[wpkg-users] Excluding particular OS and architecture types from patch application

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 28 19:49:07 CEST 2010

Hi Marco,

On 28.04.2010 18:10, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> The base rule are: leave to recipe writer the power: clearly if a
> package is strictly os or arch tagged and cited on another package as
> dependencies, wpkg will complain that package deps was not satisfiable.
> But this does not brake WPKG logic nor add a real layer of complexity
> in debugging recipe writing...

It's nice to ask giving the full power of unlimited flexibility to the user but...
Every feature we implement we are responsible for. So users expect all features
to work in all condidtions, on all OS and in every environment. I am sure if we
implement quick-n-dirty solutions for every request showing up on the list we
will create an avalanche. Some people ask to fix features we introduced (even if
fixing is impossible without breaking compatibility and therefore creating new
issues) and others requesting to slightly modify existing features for their needs.

WPKG is already very flexible and powerful due to the fact that it allows you to
execute any command and any script/tool in order to reach your goal, whatever it
might be.

> But i consider XML a more ''self documenting'' format, and really i
> hate CMD scripting that turn in really unreadable pieces of code.

I have no clue where this reluctance from writing scripts is coming from. Sure
Microsoft CMD isn't very powerful and full of glitches and problems.
Nevertheless it's very flexible and really a lot of things can be done easily
using a scripting language.
If you don't like CMD just use WSH or compile your own binary using C, C++, C#,
VB or any other language you like more.
WPKG is providing full flexibility to call your tools to extend WPKG
functionality. If you expect everything to be ready at your fingertips you might
be in the wrong job if you're a system admin.

So for now I repeat again that I am thinking about OS version and architecture
dependencies but for now please accept that you can do exactly the same using
some simple CMD scripts. If you don't like it just don't use it, everyone else
just uses the possibilities available and reaches the goal with low effort.