[wpkg-users] Deployment over Internet

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Jun 21 22:10:58 CEST 2010

Hi Philipp,

On 21.06.2010 21:52, Philipp v. Thunen wrote:
> d'oh, then it's much easier than I believed it to be. Thanks for your
> hints, I accordingly created these three php-files on the webserver
> containing only
>  <? readfile('whatever.xml'); ?>
> and... it just works now :-)

Oh, that means you're using PHP to read the XML file. This is quite some
overhead from my point of view. You can use your HTTP server to serve the XML
files directly. Just change config.php as suggested to read the XML files directly.

set the following in config.xml:

<param name='wpkg_base' value='http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg' />
<param name='web_packages_file_name' value='packages.xml' />
<param name='web_profiles_file_name' value='profiles.xml' />
<param name='web_hosts_file_name'    value='hosts.xml' />

And on the server just put

wpkg/packages.xml
wpkg/profiles.xml
wpkg/hosts.xml

So WPKG will (during startup) read:
http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg/packages.xml
http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg/profiles.xml
http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg/hosts.xml

But for sure your PHP-wrapper works as well. It's just some overhead to invoke
the PHP interpreter just to read an XML file which is immediately (and
unprocessed) forwarded to the client.