[wpkg-users] Deployment over Internet

Philipp v. Thunen phil_lists at pvth.de
Thu Jun 24 08:09:40 CEST 2010

Hi Rainer,

>>  <? readfile('whatever.xml'); ?>
> Oh, that means you're using PHP to read the XML file. This is quite some
> overhead from my point of view. You can use your HTTP server to serve the XML
> files directly. Just change config.php as suggested to read the XML files directly.
> [...]
> So WPKG will (during startup) read:
> http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg/packages.xml
> http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg/profiles.xml
> http://user:pass@server.example.com/wpkg/hosts.xml
>
> But for sure your PHP-wrapper works as well. It's just some overhead to invoke
> the PHP interpreter just to read an XML file which is immediately (and
> unprocessed) forwarded to the client.

You're absolutely right that this produces some overhead. I've chosen
this solution because so it's unneccessary to edit the client's
configuration and besides, it's easily possible to send different XML
files depending on the client's IP address, HTTP username, ...

Thanks again for your hints!
Regards,
Philipp