[wpkg-users] tool for task scheduling?

Casey Mirch cmirch at leadps.org
Tue May 11 18:45:04 CEST 2010

Would AT do the job?

  at 22:00 /every:M,T,W,H,F z:\some\path\this_script.bat

I don't have Windows 7 or Windows 2008 to know if it has been eliminated, but it has been a native Windows command since as far back as Windows 2000 or earlier.  Unlike the GUI task scheduler, commands scheduled by AT run as the SYSTEM user and independent of interactive logons--so if the administrator who created the job changes his/her password, the job won't break or lock out the account.  As with most non-interactive jobs run as SYSTEM, just be sure your script generates a minimum of output to stdout.  Too much, and the task will seize up.  I'm not certain whether redirecting to a file solves that problem.

There's an "/interactive" switch available from AT, which is useful for testing.  It makes a command window running your script visible to the logged-in user.

You can schedule commands at another computer, too.

  at \\somewindowspc 22:00 /every:M,T,W,H,F z:\some\path\this_script.bat

Casey Mirch
Manager, Data and Systems Administration
Leadership Public Schools
at leadps.org I am cmirch
http://www.leadps.org