[wpkg-users] Need help having WPKG set filesystem permissions before and after running script

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 09:01:07 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Todd Blum <todd at toddblum.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>        I am using WPKG for the first time.  I have WPKG and wpkgexpress
> running on XMPP on a Windows XP workstation in a Windows domain environment.
>
>        I have been updating my company's .NET application with a script that
> runs cwrsync on the Program Files directory on the user's workstations, but
> I've been getting in to some trouble because cwrsync leaves the ownership
> and permissions of the files different than it finds them.  I was hoping to
> use WPKG to first set ownership and permissions on the program's Program
> Files directory, perform the cwrsync script, then set the ownership and
> permissions again on the Program Files directory. I'm not readily seeing a
> package example for changing filesystem permissions--does anyone know the
> best way to perform these tasks?

you can use setacl http://setacl.sourceforge.net/ to set all the
permissions you want (not for the faint of heart, but windows
permissions are really complicated). Or you can use robocopy instead
of rsync to move files around. Robocopy can keep the permisssion of
the source files in a domain environment.. It comes with the resource
kit, I think

>        I chose rsync as the update model because the program doesn't have to
> be reinstalled with each update, and I thought it would minimize bandwidth
> usage (the rsync server is centralized and there are many disparate
> networks).

rsync is really nice and I use it all the time in our linux
environment but it is not designed for windows ;-). Robocopy will only
copy files if they have changed.

--
natxo