[wpkg-users] deploying via Domain Controller netlogon share?

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:17:51 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Michael Seward
<MichaelSeward at tengroup.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to use WPKG with the default 'netlogon' share on our domain
> controllers, with a sub-folder of 'wkpg' - so that whichever site a PC is
> on the
> WPKG client can get the install package locally instead of downloading
> packages
> across our WAN.
>
> I'm trying to reference the netlogon share in the WPKG client by using the
> %LOGONSERVER% variable, but the client crashes when I do this. E.g. the
> entry in
> the client settings 'WPKG file path' is %LOGONSERVER%\netlogon\wpkg\wpkg.js
> and
> the SOFTWARE variable is set as '%LOGONSERVER%\netlogon\wpkg\software'
>
> Has anyone used this approach and if so how do I correctly reference the
> system
> variable for the netlogon share through the client settings? I don't want
> specify a server name or IP address as that then links the client only to
> that
> site and I'll have to setup WPKG repositories on each site.

Michael,

We use the NETLOGON share on our domain controllers for storing profile and
package definitions as well as wpkg.bat and wpkg.js, but %SOFTWARE% is
located on separate fileservers in each site (wpkg.bat chooses the
appropriate fileserver based on the workstation's gateway.

Anyway, I would recommend using the fully qualified domain name to reference
the netlogon share like this:

\\fully.qualified.domain.name\NETLOGON\wpkg\wpkg.bat

At least for us MS DNS subnet prioritization ensures that "
fully.qualified.domain.name" resolves to the IP of the local domain
controller (the same as %LOGONSERVER% would in optimal situations).  If you
have one or more sites without a domain controller, then you may want to see
what domain controller they will hit by looking at the first IP address
returned by:

nslookup fully.qualified.domain.name

Cheers,

Troy