[wpkg-users] Extend 64-bit support for IA64

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 21:18:12 CEST 2011

> > Those pesky typos, had my fingers crossed while hammering
> at the keyboard, it seems.
> >
> > I do not have a testing system either, but I once got in
> contact with one of the first Itanium workstations an HP Itanium 1.
> > In general the only difference between IA64 and AMD64 is
> the name, those things checked by WPKG are identical.
>
> No, they are NOT identical. See below.

I know that the binaries are different, but the registry key that WPKG checks is the same for all WOW64 implementations.
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384232%28VS.85%29.aspx

> > I would change the variable x64 into the general one 64bit,
> since it will flag any of the two 64-bit architectures.
> > There is no difference in handling the registry in this respect.
>
> No, here I do not agree. As a package deployer you definitely
> need to know
> whether the system is IA64 or AMD64/x64/x86_64 (only the
> later group refers to
> the same thing).

The variable named x64 is used to indicate if we are running in an 64-bit environment, but it does not indicate, if we are running
on AMD64 or IA64.

---snip

> Does anybody operate an IA64 system who can tell us what value the
> PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE environment variable has on such a system?

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384274(VS.85).aspx

Sure it would be better to have feedback from one who is actually using such a system, but the hardware is expensive and the Itanium
processor is only used for server systems now, since workstations were seldom ordered by customers.

----

Thanks for implementing the enhancement, so WPKG can be used by IA64 users in the same way like the rest of us.

---
Stefan