[wpkg-users] Extend 64-bit support for IA64

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sun Jul 10 21:33:06 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

On 10.07.2011 21:18, Stefan Pendl wrote:
> I know that the binaries are different, but the registry key that WPKG checks is the same for all WOW64 implementations.
> See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384232%28VS.85%29.aspx

So that's good news. If the documentation is correct, then WPKG could
potentially run correctly on IA64 environment. However I did not find clear
information yet whether there is a native IA64 binary for WSH. If WSH runs in
32-bit WOW64 environment only then WPKG might be unable to access the 64-bit
paths and registry keys.

However the current implementation in SVN shall not have negative side effects
to x86 and x86-64 environments. So we can easily state we have support for all
these platforms and try to find a fix if somebody owning an IA64 system
discovers issues.

>> Does anybody operate an IA64 system who can tell us what value the
>> PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE environment variable has on such a system?
>>

> See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384274(VS.85).aspx

Thank you. So the "IA64" string for PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is confirmed.

> Sure it would be better to have feedback from one who is actually using such a system, but the hardware is expensive and the Itanium
> processor is only used for server systems now, since workstations were seldom ordered by customers.

I doubt it ever will be in the mid-term future. IA64 is a dead architecture now.
x86-64 will remain the standard for x86 architecture and IA64 will live as long
as HP enforces Intel to fulfill their contracts. As soon as this is over the
architecture is supposed to die. Oracle already discontinued IA64 support.
Riding a dead horse...

Let's keep the current implementation and see if in the future anybody will use it.