[wpkg-users] Fwd: Different variables per xml file

cleitet at gmail.com cleitet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:22:02 CEST 2011

Forgot to cc the mailing list. .

-CL

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: cleitet at gmail.com <cleitet at gmail.com>
Date: 2011/7/26
Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] Different variables per xml file
To: Stefan Pendl <stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com>

2011/7/25 Stefan Pendl <stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com>

> > Hi, all!
> >
> > Is it possible to set different variables per xml file?
> >
> > For example, I may have a environment variable %WPKG_SRC%=\\server\share\Distribution\Managed
> >
> > In this folder I have several subfolders:
> > - Common
> > - Administration
> > - Management
> >
> > Which contains software fore these departments.
> >  I then have three packages xml files named the same for WPKG,
> >  with instructions on how to install the software.
> >
> > Today I need to have:
> > common.xml:
> > <install cmd="%WPKG_SRC%\Common\package\package.exe" />
> > administration.xml:
> > <install cmd="%WPKG_SRC%\Administration\package\package.exe" />
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > Is it somehow possible to instead set:
> > common.xml
Hi, and thank you for your reply!

> > <packages>
> >   <variable name="SOFTWARE" value="%WPKG_SRC%\common\" />
> >   <install cmd="%SOFTWARE\package\package.exe" />
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > This would make it easier to have portable packages, even though the source of the packages are spread out on the network.
> >

> First would you mind sending text instead of HTML messages to this mailing list, since it does not support fancy HTML anyways?

Okay, better now (I wonder if Gmail can be configured to only use text
email to a given address ) :)

> ----
>
> Your problem is easily solved by setting the variable at profile level, see http://wpkg.org/Variables
>
> ----

It would be if all the packages in one xml file would be common for
one profile, but some profiles mixes packages from several xml files,
as some users have multiple roles, some profiles only need some
packages from an xml file etc.

> Why would you need different packages?

Because some of the software/profiles are only to be applied to some
hosts due to for example licensing, what tools they need, some
software are deployed with different parameters depending on type of
hosts etc.

> I have different departments too, but apply the same packages to all.

We do apply common tools and free software to all stations, but we
have a lot of different departments, and many users with different
hats, so we need a quite fine-masked setup. A lot of the workstations
have individual profiles for example.

To sum it up, the separation of the xml files does not represent the
different profiles.

-CL