[wpkg-users] Fwd: Different variables per xml file

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 17:46:25 CEST 2011

> > Your problem is easily solved by setting the variable at
> profile level, see http://wpkg.org/Variables
> >
> > ----
>
> It would be if all the packages in one xml file would be common for
> one profile, but some profiles mixes packages from several xml files,
> as some users have multiple roles, some profiles only need some
> packages from an xml file etc.
>
> > Why would you need different packages?
>
> Because some of the software/profiles are only to be applied to some
> hosts due to for example licensing, what tools they need, some
> software are deployed with different parameters depending on type of
> hosts etc.
>
> > I have different departments too, but apply the same
> packages to all.
>
> We do apply common tools and free software to all stations, but we
> have a lot of different departments, and many users with different
> hats, so we need a quite fine-masked setup. A lot of the workstations
> have individual profiles for example.
>
> To sum it up, the separation of the xml files does not represent the
> different profiles.

I do apply a general profile to all hosts and have individual profiles depending on the departments.

Some packages even have individual variables defined for each department, which is now possible with the new host attribute matching
introduced in WPKG 1.2 (make sure to use the latest RC of WPKG 1.2.1).
See http://wpkg.org/Extended_host_attribute_matching

I still can't see the benefit of having separate folders for the package files, but I do not know your environment either.

---
Stefan