[wpkg-users] Deploying System in Real-Time

Terrell, Trey Trey.Terrell at oregonstate.edu
Wed Jun 1 00:59:16 CEST 2011

Our Deployment Method:

I've rewritten parts of WPKGExpress to include a "push" button which sends the psexec command as an administrator account from the web server to the given computer. I don't use the client, as I don't want to manage uninstalls or force reinstallations of software. It's more just a quick deployment method for me. There's a bunch of other fancy stuff - package-specific logs and such so I don't have to ever mess with XML or .log files, WPKGExpress just parses everything for me. As someone noted after me, for package notification I rewrote part of my wpkg.js to automatically launch wpkgmessage in the console session (using psexec -i - haven't found a better way yet) to notify them of which packages are currently being installed. It works quite nicely so far.

Trey Terrell - Forestry Computing Helpdesk