[wpkg-users] Uninstalling thru WPKG

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Wed Jun 1 09:21:10 CEST 2011

mikhail tan <mikesalviejo at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> this two program is the same except for additional functionalities
> my problem is I mustn't deploy version 4.6.4 without uninstalling
> the old one so that it wouldn't consume disk space
>
> this two could co-exist by the way
>
> the installer is an .MSI file created by our software group

If the installer of the new version uninstall the old version, just
install the new one, if not, you have several solutions:

1. create a new package name per version, just remove the old one from
   profile and wpkg uninstall it. This solution may result in both
   installed if your <remove/> fails.

2. create a new package for the old version, like tsm-4.6.3-uninstall,
   this package checks that the software is uninstalled (maybe just
   negate the current checks). The package for the current version must
   depend on it, so the new version will never be installed if the old
   one is still there.

For such situation I prefer the second one, but you can combine both:

- tsm-4.6.3.xml => install version 4.6.3

- tsm-4.6.3-uninstall.xml => remove version 4.6.3

- tsm-4.6.4.xml => install version 4.6.4, depends on tsm-4.6.3-uninstall

- tsm-4.6.4-uninstall.xml => remove version 4.6.4

So, here is how to handle the transition:

1. tsm-4.6.3 is in the profile => the software is installed

2. remove tsm-4.6.3 from the profile => wpkg will remove it on next run

3. add tsm-4.6.4.xml in the profile => the dependency will force wpkg to
   remove the old one and install the new version only if the old one
   checks are OK.

This is how I managed transition between UltraVNC 1.0.2 and 1.0.8, and
every software that do not handle removal of the old version (like old
PDFCreator).

Regards.

--
Daniel Dehennin