[wpkg-users] Uninstalling thru WPKG

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Fri Jun 3 09:00:20 CEST 2011

mikhail tan <mikesalviejo at gmail.com> writes:

> I get your point Mr. Daniel but here is the catch
>
> When I entered the company WPKG was put unto hold
> so some of the softwares are installed manually
> and one of it is TMS (correction to tsm)
> version 4.6.3 is installed manually
>
> now 4.6.4 must be installed via WPKG
> the problem is i've tried many possible techniques
> but none of it worked

It should work for manually installed software too, WPKG don't care
about the way the software is installed, as soon as you know how to
remove it unattended:

1. create a package for that old version which uninstall it (tms-4.6.3-uninstall):
   - negate the checks, to check that the software is not installed
   - run the uninstall commands in <install/>

2. put tms-4.6.3-uninstall in a test profile

3. install manually the 4.6.3 version on a test workstation

4. use the test profile for that test workstation

5. run "cscript \\server\wpkgshare\wpkg.js /quiet /debug /nonotify /install:tms-4.6.3-uninstall"
   => it should remove the software

6. add tms-4.6.3-uninstall as dependency to package tms-4.6.4

7. replace tms-4.6.3-uninstall by tms-4.6.4 in the test profile

8. do some tests: with 4.6.3 uninstalled, with 4.6.3 manually installed

9. do more tests on more workstations

10. deploy

Regards.
--