[wpkg-users] how to safely copy wpkg.xml to a central UNC location when using Wpkg Agent (for after-processing with wpkgCreateReport)

Urs Rau (UK) urs.rau at om.org
Thu Jan 26 14:04:12 CET 2012

I am probably missing the tree for the forrest on this one. It seems so easy and even the product docs for wpkgCreateReport says under point 2.2

 1.  Prerequisites

<cut some>

The prerequisite is that you have copied the wpkg.xml file of every client to a central directory, carrying the name of the computer it originates from. This can easily be achieved by appending something like the following command line at the end of the script file you are calling wpkg from.

copy /Y "%windir%\system32\wpkg.xml" “%wpkgshare%\clientStates\%computername%.xml"

I can see how this is easily achieved in a deployment where a batch file calls up wpkg.js processing, one adds it just after cscript has finished executing wpkg.js and returns.

But how do you practically do it when using the wpkg agent, which is a service that does not really finish or return in that sense ? It seems that anything I try to do from it finds the wpkg.xml locked because the wpkg agent is currently processing it. Doohh!

There must be an embarrassingly easy answer to this, surely?

Thanks for pointing out what must be really "obvious" to most.

Regards,

--
Urs Rau

Operation Mobilisation (OM) - a company limited by guarantee - The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, Oswestry, SY10 7LT, United Kingdom
Company reg no: 2564320 (England & Wales) - Charity reg. no: 1008196 (England & Wales) - SC040988 (Scotland)
Web: http://www.uk.om.org