[wpkg-users] how to safely copy wpkg.xml to a central UNC location when using Wpkg Agent (for after-processing with wpkgCreateReport)

Leon Hedding (ICT) Leon.Hedding at om.org
Thu Jan 26 14:10:19 CET 2012

From: wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org [mailto:wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org] On Behalf Of Urs Rau (UK)
Sent: 26 January 2012 13:04
To: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
Subject: [wpkg-users] how to safely copy wpkg.xml to a central UNC location when using Wpkg Agent (for after-processing with wpkgCreateReport)

I am probably missing the tree for the forrest on this one. It seems so easy and even the product docs for wpkgCreateReport says under point 2.2

2.     Prerequisites

<cut some>

The prerequisite is that you have copied the wpkg.xml file of every client to a central directory, carrying the name of the computer it originates from. This can easily be achieved by appending something like the following command line at the end of the script file you are calling wpkg from.

copy /Y "%windir%\system32\wpkg.xml" "%wpkgshare%\clientStates\%computername%.xml"
I can see how this is easily achieved in a deployment where a batch file calls up wpkg.js processing, one adds it just after cscript has finished executing wpkg.js and returns.

But how do you practically do it when using the wpkg agent, which is a service that does not really finish or return in that sense ? It seems that anything I try to do from it finds the wpkg.xml locked because the wpkg agent is currently processing it. Doohh!

There must be an embarrassingly easy answer to this, surely?

Thanks for pointing out what must be really "obvious" to most.

Regards,

--
Urs Rau

Operation Mobilisation (OM) - a company limited by guarantee - The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, Oswestry, SY10 7LT, United Kingdom
Company reg no: 2564320 (England & Wales) - Charity reg. no: 1008196 (England & Wales) - SC040988 (Scotland)
Web: http://www.uk.om.org

Urs,

I was just testing this myself. Drove me nuts for a while since it would work for me, but not for the agent. The way to get it work (at least on a Windows 7 64-bit OS) is to map the network drive to a drive letter first. It would not work until I mapped the drive letter.

Cheers,

Leon Hedding